As mentioned in a previous lesson, this refers to the breaking down of tasks into smaller ones. Also known as division of labor, this is said to improve efficiency while allowing team members to specialize. Specialization then further increases efficiency.
In the real world, division of work is achieved by creating different work sectors:
- Primary Sector Works on the extraction of natural resources, e.g. mining, agriculture, forestry, fishing
- Secondary Sector Works on the processing of raw materials, e.g. manufacturing, construction, energy production
- Tertiary Sector Provides services to people and businesses, e.g. retail, education, healthcare, transportation, finance
Police Division of Work
In the police organization, work is divided among various units and personnel:
- Patrol Responsible for the prevention of crime and the maintenance of public order within a specified geographic area. They respond to calls for services, conduct initial investigations, and engage in proactive policing activities to deter criminal activity.
- Investigation Responsible for conducting in-depth investigations into specific crimes or criminal activities. They often work closely with other law enforcement agencies and tend to further specialize in areas such as narcotics, organized crime, or fraud.
- Administration Responsible for the management of the law enforcement agency.
- Special Operations Responsible for responding to specific types of situations that require specialized training and equipment. These includes SWAT teams, hostage negotiators, or bomb squads.
- Support Services Responsible for providing logistical and administrative support to other units within the agency. This includes functions such as records management, evidence processing, and forensic analysis.
- Community Relations Responsible for developing and maintaining positive relationships with the community. They may engage in outreach activities to promote trust and communication between the police and the community.
- Traffic Responsible for enforcing traffic laws, investigating traffic accidents, managing traffic flow within a specified jurisdiction. They may also engage in public education campaigns to promote safe driving habits.
Division of work is implemented in law enforcement agencies to ensure that each unit has clearly defined roles and responsibilities, and that each officer is sufficiently trained and equipped to carry out their assigned tasks effectively.